Issue "file not found"

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Thanks for taking the time to develop this. I ran into an issue though. Once installed and activated, I click on "Item-level permission settings for this document library" in doc library settings, it displays "Error, file not found". 

After, when I uninstall it, it says "failed to find the XML file at the location '12\template\feature\ILP ...\feature.xml" 

Any thoughts or help to get this working?

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Will test it again and let you know whats going on.

Regarding un-installation - I think the script is deactivating and removing the solution package which eventually removes feature files. I will also modify that to make things better :)

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Chaks

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Hi johnny_mojo,

Sorry for the late reply. Was held up elsewhere :(

I have uploaded new install and un-install scripts. I checked with the solution and its working good.

Can you tell me whether you are browsing the site as a site admin or any other normal user?

Cheers,

Chaks

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Thanks, the uninstall batch script seems to be working now. After uninstalling, I used the new updated install batch and everything went fine with the install. Still, when I browse to the document library settings and click on "Item-level permission settings ..." I get an error stating "file not found." 

Below is an image of the error:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2229/ilperror.jpg

note: I noticed that the link points to a GUID with brackets and dashes that are not converted. I modifed that and it still states file not found. (not sure if that makes a difference)

e.g. List={3deab365-3ce6-47ff-a6b7-1e8b810f68ea} should be List=%7B3DEAB365%2D3CE6%2D47FF%2DA6B7%2D1E8B810F68EA%7D

The ILPSettings.aspx file is located in the LAYOUTS folder in the 12 hive ... no sure why it's stating that the file is not found. 

Any ideas?

Also, I am browsing as the site admin. I also tried with another user who had full control permissions and still no luck. 

Cheers,

Johnny

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Hi Johhny,

Can you uninstall the wsp solution package from Central Admin and then install it again and test?

I tested the package with various SharePoint environments I have here at home and work and it didn't fail. However there seems to be another bug which relates to the timer job which is discussed here at MSDN forums

I am not sure whats happening, but if you can do a full cleanup (retract & delete the package from Central Admin), it would very helpful to track this bug.

Thanks,

Chaks

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM
Edited Jul 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Chaks, it seems that I'm still having the same problem even after retracting it from the central admin and re-installing it. This is just on a development VHD running Windows Server 2003 with a default install of WSS 3.0. Can you think of any setting that would be hindering this. Do you think it would be anything to do with the timer job or app pool identity settings as you discussed above?

Everything seems to install fine and the features are enabled, it's just when I click on the "item level permission settings ..." I get the error "file not found". Is there any way to be able to see what file it cannot find?

Thanks,

-Johnny

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Hi Johnny,

Can you enable debugging in your web.config of the site and check what is the actual error?

a) Open web.config and find the below line and change the CallStack and AllowPageLevelTrace to true

<SafeMode MaxControls="400" CallStack="true" DirectFileDependencies="100" TotalFileDependencies="150" AllowPageLevelTrace="true">

b) Find the below line too from web.config and change the mode to Off

<customErrors mode="Off" />

Thanks
Jul 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Hope this helps:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2229/ilperror.jpg 

Let me know if I can try anything else or should modify anything on my end.

Thanks,

-Johnny

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Hi Johhny,

Thanks for that screenshot. Can you check whether the site collection feature ILP:Item-Level permission list instance is activated or not?

Cheers,

Chaks

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Chakk,

I'm looking at my site collection features and I only see the feature ILP:Item-level permission library settings. This feature is activated, but there are not any more ILP features displaying here. See image below:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8863/ilp.jpg

according to your install file, the features ILP_SiteColumns, ILP_ContentTypes_ILPItem, ILP_ListInstances_ILPSet, and ILP_CustomActions_LibrarySettings should be activated. Is ILP:Item-Level permission list instance different from those?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Hi Johnny,

I am going to do a release today or tomorrow with few fixes that I am sure will help to debug more. And also I am looking into making the installation experience really easy with help of SharePoint Solution Installer.

It would be very helpful if you can test that release.

Thanks,

Chaks

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:29 PM
Edited Aug 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Chakk, I tested out the new version. I like the new setup, cheers on that. Anyways, it still seems that I'm experiencing the issue "file not found." I noticed in the discussions that one other person had reported the same issue. Also, I had checked out my site collection features and tried to deactivate and reactive them and when trying to deactivate the ILP:Item-level permission list instance feature, I get the following error "Value does not fall within the expected range". Any ideas?

edit: here is the error with details: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1466/ilperror2.jpg

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for testing the new version :)

Yep, there is another person with the same problem. The error clearly shows there is problem with the ILP List that I create to manage the permissions. The List is created in code using SharePoint Object Model in a feature.

What I think might be the issue is that the document library would have configured for ILP (in previous version) which have put an entry into that ILP list. Now, after upgrading or reinstalling, the code might fail looking for that entry in the ILP list. I think I have managed that in the code already, but will check for that. That might be it for the problem you and the other person facing. Will see what I can do this weekend and if possible release an update :)

Cheers,

Chaks

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Hi Chaks,

First of all thanks for the solution.

I have downloaded the latest version of the feature and i'm able to see the feature activated at the site level.  However when i click on the item-level permission settings for this document library link it gives the following error.

File Not Found.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetMetadataForUrl(String bstrUrl, Int32 METADATAFLAGS, Guid& pgListId, Int32& plItemId, Int32& plType, Object& pvarFileOrFolder)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetMetadataForUrl(String bstrUrl, Int32 METADATAFLAGS, Guid& pgListId, Int32& plItemId, Int32& plType, Object& pvarFileOrFolder)

Any idea what i'm doing wrong.

Regards,

Sue

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Hi Chacks,

Another thank you for this solutions - much appreciated.  I too have the encounter the same error after installation (current version as at 15 october 2009), the first time I click on "Item level permissions"  I get this error:

File Not Found.   at Chaks.SharePoint.Docs.ILP.Utilities.Extensions.ILPExists(SPWeb rootWeb, String listId)
   at Chaks.SharePoint.Docs.ILP.ILPSettings.SetILPValues()
   at Chaks.SharePoint.Docs.ILP.ILPSettings.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dylan

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Hi Chacks,

Thank you for the wonderful feature you have developed. Do you have a resolution to the "file not found" error yet? I am having the same problem.

I would really appreciate if you could help resolve the problem so we can start using this very helpful feature.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:56 AM

Hello,

I am also experiencing the File Not Found.   at Chaks.SharePoint.Docs.ILP.Utilities.Extensions.ListExists(SPWeb web, String name) issue.

I have tested this in 2 other dev environments and it works fine, then I try it in production ... and Whammy - file not found. I jumped through the usual hoops, retract, delete, add, deploy. I used the installer, I use STSADM, etc........

Using this solution in conjunction with the usefull workflow actions to set permissions on an item is a great solution for allowing users to only edit their own documents. Truely a drawback of MOSS OFTB doc libraries.

Do you have any ideas yet on this?

Anyone else that has posted fixed it yet and could give us an update?

Thanks!!

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I found the problem, at least as it relates to our SharePoint server... The solution was compiled with .NET 3.5 - We have .NET 3.0. So the tool cannot create the list it needs to store the Security settings.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM
chakkaradeep wrote:

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for testing the new version :)

Yep, there is another person with the same problem. The error clearly shows there is problem with the ILP List that I create to manage the permissions. The List is created in code using SharePoint Object Model in a feature.

What I think might be the issue is that the document library would have configured for ILP (in previous version) which have put an entry into that ILP list. Now, after upgrading or reinstalling, the code might fail looking for that entry in the ILP list. I think I have managed that in the code already, but will check for that. That might be it for the problem you and the other person facing. Will see what I can do this weekend and if possible release an update :)

Cheers,

Chaks

I found the problem, at least as it relates to our SharePoint server... The solution was compiled with .NET 3.5 - We have .NET 3.0. So the tool cannot create the list it needs to store the Security settings.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM